The World War I Hotel in San Francisco was the first hotel in America to be razed in the 1930s as the government took aim at anti-Semitism.
The World War Two Hotel in New York was razed after a fire caused by the Nazis.
Now, more than 200 years later, the World Trade Center Hotel in Lower Manhattan is being razed as part of a US Department of Homeland Security plan to make it “more tolerant of gay and lesbian guests”.
The destruction of the World Wars II Hotel and the subsequent destruction of Yosemite’s World War One and World War Three hotels were part of the Department of Justice’s effort to make hotels more “transparent and tolerant” in response to anti-Jewish sentiment.
In an attempt to make the hotel more “comfortable and welcoming” to gays, the department asked the city of San Francisco to allow for the demolition of the hotel.
This is a policy that the US Supreme Court has ruled is unconstitutional.
The Department of Interior, which owns the World, said in a statement on Tuesday that the department would be providing a detailed review of the request and the hotel’s design before any further decision could be made.
“The City of San Franciscos decision to request a temporary restraining order to block the demolition is an unfortunate one that has caused significant harm to our tourism economy, our community, and to our nation,” the statement said.
“This temporary restraining request has the potential to undermine the tourism economy and adversely affect San Francisco’s ability to attract visitors and business.”
The department said it was working with the hotel owner and other stakeholders to provide an updated design that “will provide for a more inclusive and welcoming hotel for all visitors, regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity”.
“The Department will work with the San Francisco City Council and other parties to ensure that the hotel design remains a model of public accommodation for the future,” it said.
The World Wars I Hotel was the second largest hotel in the United States, occupying an entire block at Fourth Avenue and Pennsylvania Avenue.
The hotel was built in 1912 as the headquarters for the American Red Cross and had the capacity to hold 250,000 guests.
The US government later demolished the hotel, which had been part of its headquarters, in 1942.
“The World Hotel, which stood at the heart of the city’s business district and served as the American red cross headquarters, was destroyed by the Japanese military during World War III and its residents forced to live underground, unable to return to their homes,” the Department said in the statement.
The government had previously demolished the Hotel San Francisco at Fourth and Madison Streets in New Amsterdam.
It was also demolished by Hurricane Andrew in 1928, which also destroyed parts of the San Diego Convention Center.
In 2016, the Trump administration asked the US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit to reinstate the hotel and to allow it to be rebuilt.
The Supreme Court granted the request, saying in 2016 that it was unconstitutional for the city to ask for a restraining order and the building’s demolition.
The court said in 2017 that the city should be allowed to keep the building.
The Trump administration said in its appeal that the court was wrong to overturn a decision that “is a milestone in our history”.
“This is a landmark decision that has had a profound impact on the fabric of American life and will undoubtedly shape the course of future decisions,” the administration said.
The court’s decision in favor of the Trump Administration was made in a 5-4 decision.